How to Support Local Arts, Culture & Heritage This Holiday Season
With the holidays fast approaching, you may be thinking about finding unique gifts for your loved ones or discovering places to go for a memorable experience with your family and friends. To encourage and facilitate local purchasing, the Prescott-Russell Arts Council has compiled a list that will assist you in your efforts to support the merchants, entrepreneurs, artists and artisans of Prescott and Russell! You will find markets to visit, promotional offers not to be missed and links to find even more information.
Not yet convinced to jump on the local support bandwagon? Here are 4 more reasons to do so!
You are helping the local economy: Buying locally not only directly affects the person you are buying from, but also the community around them. Shopping local art and handmade goods support the economic base of the arts and culture community, since many artists and makers purchase from local businesses, and may be members of local societies, centres and galleries. By purchasing local art, you will be taking steps to support your local economy. Lets not forget that local businesses also offer new jobs in your community!
Your community is enriched: Entrepreneurs, business owners, artists and creators are usually very creative and innovative people. With support from the community, they have the potential to shape a unique local landscape that reflects its values and needs. Additionally, these businesses are more likely to invest back into their communities by donating to causes or by creating cultural and social events and opportunities. Time spent discovering and meeting these creative people in your community is, in our opinion, never wasted time. Doesn’t that sound like a fun experience, to be part of something unique and thriving?
Have a better customer service experience: Buying from your local Gallery or from a local artist directly will give you an opportunity to connect – meeting the artist and knowing that you are an integral part of investing in that person or local business. Art is a labor of love. When you buy direct from a local artist, they will take the time to get to know you and what your needs are.
Find some unique and meaningful gifts: Artworks produced by local artists often will have a deeper significance and meaning to residents. Artists are often influenced by the local culture and colours of their region’s landscape. In turn, the culture of a region and of the people who live there, is reflected in its art. The art you purchase from them will often have a deeper significance and meaning, as a commentary and reflection of the region in which you live. Purchasing locally is a great way to pick up a unique find: handmade, local artwork is original and culturally significant, and other pieces like it will not be widespread through the market. From gift cards or artwork, crafts or classes, you’ll find something for everyone on your list!
Now that we've convinced you, here are some of the events, markets and offers available in Prescott and Russell!
ARTS MARKETS & POP-UP SHOPS
- Christmas Craft Show at the Creating Centre
- Arbor Gallery PopUp Shops
- New operating hours: Wednesday to Sunday, noon to 4pm; Except Saturday, 10am to 4pm
- November 14-15: Manon Sauvé (glass artist) & Susan McAlpine (Author)
- November 20: Linda Gouchi (Whimsical and Practical Wool Creations)
- November 27: Carole Renaud (Artist) & North Strands by Tanya
- December 4: Alison Collard (Pottery) & Reenie Marx Fine Arts Photo
- December 11: Linda Gouchi (Whimsical and Practical Wool Creations)
- More information on the Arbor Gallery’s Facebook page
- CAPRAC Gallery’s Virtual Arts Market
- November 19 to December 5
- For your holiday shopping, the Prescott and Russell Arts Council invites you to discover and support local arts and culture by visiting Galerie CAPRAC for artwork, decorations, and gift certificates! Featuring works by Nathalie Artistique, Christine Godin, Line Labrecque, Léola Meagher, Désirée Perras, Tina Petrovicz, Manon Sauvé, in addition to our our Fall exhibition.
- More information
- Embrun Christmas Market
- Russell Community Christmas Market & Outdoor Social
- December 4, at the Russell Fairgrounds (1076 Concession St, Russell)
- 1pm - 5pm: Shop at the local maker’s market
- 1pm - 3pm: Outdoor family-friendly activities
- 3pm - 8pm: Outdoor beverage garden
- Come, warm by the fire, enjoy a seasonal drink and some live music with friends and neighbours, and most importantly, come and support your local vendors. Donations to the food bank are welcome.
- More information on the Russell Community Market’s Facebook page
- Le Chenail Cultural Centre’s Crafts Market
- December 4, 2021 to January 4, 2022, at the Maison de l’île (2 John St, Hawkesbury)
- Opening at 1pm with Christmas Tea and music by Robert Dionne
- Find beautiful handmade crafts and unique gift ideas. Featured artists: NJaime Charles, Marie 0 Nettes, James Parry, Bleu de plaisance, Olivia Lessard, Louise Séguin, Reynalda Bedolla-Sanchez, Roxanne Levaque, Garnet Millar
- Nathalie Frenière Studio Open House - Christmas Sale
- December 4 and 5, 11am to 4pm (by appointment), at Nathalie's studio (650, 2e Concession, Vankleek Hill)
- Nathalie, with Lise Goulet (ceramist), invites you to her studio to see their available works.
- More information at 613-676-1994 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Winter Market at Tucker House
- December 5, 9am to 3pm, at Tucker House (1731 Tucker Rd, Rockland)
- Local merchants and Santa will be there (11am to 2pm)
- More information on Tucker House’s Facebook page
EVENTS & EXHIBITS
- Casselman Municipal Library - November Exhibition
- Clarence-Rockland Art Gallery - November Exhibition
- Maison des arts - Come and try out
- November 20, 3pm to 3:45pm, at the Maison des arts (2 Lapalme St, Embrun)
- A singing workshop to find out if your child likes it before signing up for January.
- More information on Maison des arts’ Facebook page
- Paint with Judith - Fundraiser Paint Night
- November 21, 3pm, at G.A.B.’s (1039 Laurier St, Rockland)
- What's cozier than a Snowman in a scarf holding a lantern? Helping kids in our community have their very own snowsuit to stay warm this winter! Join the fundraiser to raise $$ for the snowsuit fund!
- All materials to complete your painting are included, no experience necessary. Tickets are sold through the EventBrite link.
- More information on the Facebook Event.
- Coup de Coeur - A Community Show at the Arbor Gallery
- November 25 to December 18
- Everyone is invited to participate in this Holiday Exhibition at the Arbor Gallery!
- Do you own an art creation that you treasure? Display it and share your Coup de Coeur story in a Holiday community show.
- How to enter:
- Email - or drop off at the gallery - a picture of your item WITH a short story explaining what makes it your Coup de Coeur. Deadline: November 18
- Bring the item to the gallery for the exhibition (clearly identified) on November 22 (noon to 4pm)
- Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Everyone entering the show gets the chance to win a beautiful gift basket from Gardenpath Homemade Soap, Jade Garden Garden, Vankleek Cottage or The Review (Draw: December 18 in the afternoon).
SPECIAL OFFERS & PROMOTIONS
- Crystal Beshara, Artist
- A Year in the Country - 2022 Calendar: This calendar is a reflection of Crystal’s affinity for everything rural. Follow the seasons with full colour reproductions of some of her original oil paintings. This calendar will make a great keepsake - frame them up for yourself or give a few copies away as gifts! Order yours on Crystal’s online store.
- In an attempt to make art more accessible, Crystal has been adding to an ever growing library of ONLINE workshops (click here for the full library). She now has two Holiday Card classes available online for you to watch, learn, stream or download at your leisure.
- Le Chenail Cultural Centre - Gift Cards
- Le Chenail Cultural Centre offers gift cards on their online store. A wonderful gift idea for any patron of cultural events!
- CAPRAC Gallery - Gift Cards
- Not sure what to get for the art-lover in your life? Why not give them the gift of choice by getting them a gift card from CAPRAC Gallery!